Saturday, February 23, 2013

An Interview with James Ollier

Name: James Ollier
Based: Somerset, South West England.
Type of Music: Acoustic Folk Rock


When we stumbled across James Ollier’s music on YouTube, after he posted a beautiful rendition of Mumford and Son’s “Sigh No More” we were wowed by his powerful vocals and his bluesy, folksy tone. As we explored his YouTube more, we discovered his song “Beautiful Truth” and realized this guy isn’t just a cover-artist, he’s a singer-songwriter and a beautiful one at that.

James agreed to do an interview with us.

You seem to have a very folksy style. What made you start singing that type of music?
To be honest I'm not really sure. I've always loved folk music and have been listening to it since I was very young, as my parents were also fans of the genre. So, I think most of it is down to influence and just being the type of music I like the most.

Are there specific artists that inspire you?
There have been many artists that have inspired me to write and to keep writing music throughout the years, but mainly I'd say John Lennon & The Beatles, Jim Morrison & The Doors, Led Zeppelin, Laura Marling, early Noah and The Whale, Ben Howard, Mumford & Sons and Alt - J are the ones that inspire me the most.

Where do you hope to be in 5 years? 10 years?
Really my only hope or aim for anytime in the future is to be able to make a living from my music. Anything else is a bonus.


What do you do when you lack inspiration?
Hmm, mostly when I struggle to find inspiration I search through the moments in my life, which have had a significant effect, bad or good, and then see if I have any emotions still left for it. If so, I see if I can turn it into a song.

Have there been any albums or songs this year you wish you had written?
Not sure about this year, but I remember first listening to Ben Howard and to Mumford & Sons (first album) and thinking how amazing it would be if I had written those songs.

When is your album coming out?
I am working towards an album, but I don't think it will be out until next year. However, there should be EP coming out later this year, so keep an eye out!


What is your worst or most awkward moment you've ever experienced on stage?
That's got to be when I was 13. I hadn't been playing live for long so I was still pretty nervous. I was halfway through a song when I completely forgot the lyrics and for the next 5 lines or so I had to completely make them up. I have no idea what I must have said, but I imagine it sounded pretty weird.

Do your songs come from personal experiences?
Yeah all of them do, I have tried to write songs unrelated to me before but I find it too hard to find that emotional connection.


What instruments do you play?
Just the guitar at the moment and a bit of ukulele.

What is your dream collaboration?
John Lennon definitely, that's if he was still alive, but a duet with Laura Marling would be pretty awesome!

Is there a producer you would love to work with?
George Martin (The Beatles producer) would be pretty cool!

Your song A Beautiful Truth is stunning, what inspired you to write it?
Thank you, I wrote 'A Beautiful Truth' in Vondel Park, Amsterdam. I was sitting down with some friends and at one moment I could see a meditation group, a yoga group, buskers, dancers, families, runners, cyclists, dog walkers, groups of friends, exercise groups and couples. It just seemed in that park at that time the whole world was together and that's what it's really about.

If you want to learn more about James, check out his YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/JimOllierMusic

Like his Facebook page here!

No comments:

Post a Comment